1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Encyclopedia Britannica

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

We had the 1965 edition in my house.

I can tell you anything you want to know about Basutoland or Bechuanaland.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What did you pour over them?

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I spent a good portion of my youth reading through our set of encyclopedias. I can remember how excited I would get every time a new volume arrived.

In fact, I'd much rather read the EB than the New York Times or Wall Street Journal [/crossthread]

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

My old man sprung money to get me a set of EB's, along with a set of the Classics (Freud, Shakespeare, Kant, etc). I held on to those suckers for a long time until '09. I kept a few of the Classic books to re-read.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Still have that set. I cherish it. Probably the most influential group of books I've ever had. Though I was really confused when I found out that South Yemen wasn't British anymore.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ha! We lived on a farm. Let's not go there.

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Thank you for bringing me back to eighth grade. Wow, I haven't thought about this guy in 20-plus years. This was a good example of the power of advertising because as soon as I saw this picture, I immediately recalled the start of the commercial: "Remember me?"

Anyway, I remember having to go to my next door neighbor's house to borrow their encyclopedias when doing the requisite report on whales, the Civil War, etc. Their kids were all grown up, so I think these were from the early 70s ... a good 15 years old by the time I started using them.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Funk & Wagnalls.

And it was Publix, not Safeway. At least for my family.

Very sad the print is ending. The market's changing, and that's not always for the better. Youth today really think Wiki is the truth.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

I always thought those encyclopedias were all overpriced. I would only use them at the library and the level of information they supplied was similar to Wikipedia in that it was a place you could start research but would need more for a legitimate school report.

As I type this, I have a science encyclopedia set which I bought at a garage sale. I think we used it maybe three times. I need to get rid of it to clear some space on my bookshelf. Information moves too fast and changes too rapidly to have an encyclopedia be of much use.

My wife complained when she heard Woolworth closed. I pointed out that she hand't been to Woolworth's for at least five years before it closed.

Draft saved Draft deleted