1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Emory Bellard

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxer, Feb 10, 2011.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Emory Bellard, inventor of the wishbone offense and head coach at Texas A&M and Mississippi State, died Thursday morning at 83. He was dignosed with ALS last year.

Before becoming offensive coordinator for Darrel Royal at Texas, he won three state championships as a high school coach at Breckenridge and San Angelo Central.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Coached Mississippi State to some great victories in the early 1980s, including perhaps the Bulldogs' all-time win, a 6-3 decision in 1980 over an Alabama team had won 28 straight games, won back-to-back national titles and was ranked No. 1 in the country.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Loved watching that early wishbone that Texas ran when James Street was QB.

4. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I'm just barely old enough to remember those amazing Texas teams of the 1968-70 era. Great to watch, even on a 13-inch black and white TV.

And how cool is it to be acknowledged as the inventor of anything in one of the major sports? It's not as though he was Doc Naismith nailing peach baskets up on the wall, but give the man props for giving us the wishbone.
  5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Flank right, 18 load option, on two.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I always liked watching wishbone teams because of the simplicity of the offense. It was something that a kid like me could figure out.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I was there in 1980, as a junior in high school.
    15-yard line, pressbox side, 30 rows up at the stadium in Jackson.
    It wasn't televised.

The Bear is ready now to sit down for a game of chess or dominoes, and discuss those 1980 and the 1981 (13-7 loss at T-Town) crimson/maroon clashes once more.

Them was some fine athletes you lined up on the field for us in that era, Coach Bellard.
    Aside from Florida, we competed with everyone in the league during your span.
    You even kept near-'bout an even record with Southern and with Ole Miss ... which ain't easy.
    Magnolia State footballers fight so hard against each other that they often lose sight of the other schools on the periphery.
    I know you're disappointed, Coach, that we've lost like 17 of the past 18 to LSU.
    That sort of streak was unthinkable when you were on the sidelines in Starkville.

Rest easy now, Coach.
Draft saved Draft deleted