1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Emma the healthy Shih Tzu

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 22, 2019.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Welp, we know who the leader in the clubhouse is for Most Selfish Person of 2019.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And people wonder why veterinarian suicide rates are abnormally high. Can you imagine dealing with sh*t like this?

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Ironically, some friends of the family are having their dog put down today. I guess the dog is totally incontinent.

What’s interesting, is someone has a business where they drive to your house and euthanize your animal.

That’s a tough way to make a buck.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My brother did this. He couldn't take his dog to have her put down. It was easier for him emotionally to have them come and get her. I don't know if they euthanized her there or took her away then did it.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I think I read this on Reddit...

A vet assistant said she really wished people would stay in the room because every animal they put down is always looking at the door waiting for their human to come back into the room.

That broke my heart.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That's the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Coincidentally, my dad got me a Shih Tzu puppy as a Christmas gift when I was four and then my father died of a heart attack when I was five. When I hit around 17 he slowly started deteriorating - couldn't do steps anymore, couldn't hold his bladder. Finally one day his back legs just couldn't move and we rushed him to the vet. Dog's heart was only functioning at about 30 percent and a surgery was both costly and high risk given the age. I can still see that dog looking at me in the waiting room and licking my hand. I was in the room when they injected him. I vowed then to never have a dog of my own again. To sign up for this kind of gut-wrenching once every dozen or so years? Yeah, fuck all that.

Of course, my girlfriend inherited her mom's yorkie two years ago because the dog can't be at the assisted living facility. She's old and starting to show similar health issues due to age. I'm not looking forward to this.

Anyways, fuck this miserable cnut for robbing that dog of its life. Shih Tzu's are great dogs and that one looks like it had a lot more love to give.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

We had to put down our 17 year old long haired dachsund last summer. It was horrendous. And to compound the problem, we finally decided on a monday night, but couldn't get to the vet until Thursday - HUGE MISTAKE. THOSE DAYS WERE MISERABLE. Once you make the decision to put the dog down, go immediately.

Our 9 year old lab mix lost a clump of hair on her back the week after the dog was gone. I just can't believe it was anything else but missing him. It shocked me.

We got a border collie-lab mix puppy in September, and she has been a ton of work. The back yard has been torn to shreds to the point my wife insisted on astro turf. We are on our sixth direct tv remote, and third sound bar remote because nothing can be left out, else she will chew it (and sandals, and golf shoes, and running shoes, etc.) She had giardia for over two months, and we have gone to the vet so many times. She is finally healthy.

The older lab mix is starting to show signs of aging, and it is killing me. But I am firmly in opposition to you. The love I get from these dogs every day, without fail, is so worth it.

When i wake up in the morning, I go to their room and just sit down on the ground, and the now 1 year old puppy just sits on my lap, and presses into me, as hard as she can. It is the best snuggle in the world.

I know how bad the endings are but I wouldn't change a thing. These dogs bring me so much joy, its almost incalculable.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Stoney and Vombatus like this.
  9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

They are great dogs. I buried Niklas Lidstrom, my nineteenish-year-old Shih Tzu, earlier this year. He'd survived Katrina, an abusive owner, and a near miss being used as a bait dog by the time he went home with me. People like Niklas' former owners and the deceased in this article make me wish I believed in Hell.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Donny in his element likes this.
  10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

11. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

I've had four of them put down, and it never gets easier. I have a 9-year-old Corgi at the moment, and I fear the day that I have to put it him down.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The executor of the estate also pisses me off. Who the fuck would know or care?

Draft saved Draft deleted