1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Elmore Leonard

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HC, Aug 20, 2013.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2013/08/20/elmore_leonard_dies_at_age_87.html

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A great American author. Sad but his work will live for a very, very long time.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of my favorite authors ever...

Rum Punch and Out of Sight are my favorites of his, but there are so many great ones...

RIP

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The master of writing strong dialogue.

RIP, Dutch.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Esquire posted a link to his appearance in the "What I've Learned" column in memoriam. Can't think of anything better than Leonard's own words.

http://www.esquire.com/features/what-ive-learned/ESQ0405WIL_148?src=spr_FBPAGE&spr_id=21886

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

A truly great writer worth getting lathered up over and there's crickets here when he kicks it.
    Raymond Chandler was the king, but Elmore was the master of crime dialogue.
    Check out a short story of his called "Fire in the Hole."
    Inspired the TV show Justified.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Inspired Jackie Brown, too.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Brilliant writer. My favorites were probably "Glitz" and "Freaky Deaky" (which was his favorite, too), but Leonard's weakest stuff was still better than 99% of what's out there.

The only person in his league for writing dialogue was George V. Higgins, but Higgins couldn't touch Leonard's ability to create characters and push a story forward.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Contemporaries, you mean?

How does his dialgoue compare to say, Hemingway's dialogue?

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Nelson DeMille writes comparably good dialogue, too.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Very sad to hear this. I discovered his writing when I was in high school and just devoured it. Such great characters. I love that this week's "Breaking Bad" included the line "fire in the hole." Maybe it was a nod to Leonard, maybe not, but I like to think it was.

Draft saved Draft deleted