1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ellen Siska

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lono, Apr 12, 2012.

1. lono

lono Active Member

Sad to learn of Ellen's passing.

I did not know her well, but she was a genuinely nice person and well-regarded among the NASCAR beat writers.

------
    Ellen (Slothour) Siska, 55, passed away following a long battle with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia on Thursday, April 5, 2012, in Midlothian, Va.

Ms. Siska, formerly of York, PA was the devoted mother of Jonathan Shutz of Hanover, Hayden Siska of Calabash, N.C., and Hope Siska of Ocean Isle Beach, N.C.

She is survived by her parents, Betty and Robert Slothour of Hanover; and a sister, Elaine (Slothour) Scrobe of Midlothian, Va.

She was preceeded in death by her son, Edward Siska; and her brother, David Slothour.

She received a Bachelor's Degree from York College of Pennsylvania in 2006, and wrote a weekly NASCAR column for the York Dispatch [and for ESPN's NASCAR section and often linked on Jayski.com] until her diagnosis. A memorial service will be held at the Hanover Church of the Brethren at a time yet to be determined.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Too young. The NASCAR media crew loses another. David Poole, Snow Hinton, Benny Phillips, Harold Pearson, Ellen Siska ... Certainly, Furman Bisher covered his share of races.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I didn't know her but I definitely knew and worked with Harold Dean. RIP to them all.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

RIP to Ellen, whom I always saw at Richmond and Pocono. She was a very good woman, and very friendly. Back in those days, those were both qualities in short supply.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

RIP. And good heavens, Ellen outlived a son, and Ellen's parents have now outlived two of their three children. Not the way it's supposed to go.

6. mcmaster1205

mcmaster1205 New Member

Hi everyone - I am Ellen's niece and wanted to send this on in case anyone was interested.
    Thanks all for your wonderful praises and thoughts/prayers. It is wonderful to know that people loved her!

A memorial service is planned to celebrate the life of Ellen S. Siska on Sat., May 5, 2012, from 2-4 pm at the Hanover Church of the Brethren, 601 Wilson Ave., Hanover, PA. The service will be officiated by Pastor Gerry Godfrey. In lieu of flowers, donations may be sent to the SECU Family House, 123 Old Mason Farm Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27517, or the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, CB# 7295, UNC at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7295. Please note that donations are in memory of Ellen S. Siska in the memo line of your check.

Thanks again
    Sharon McMaster
    mcmaster1205@yahoo.com

Draft saved Draft deleted