1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Elizabeth Edwards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Dec 7, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

When I made this point after Reagan died, I was told it was fair to examine a person's entire life upon their death. That we were journalists, and not fanbois, and so no one was just going to fawn all over someone as horrible as Reagan was.

Moddy stepped in as the voice of reason and we had an RIP thread, and a separate one to discuss him as a President.

*edited to cut out the passive-aggressiveness. It's been a shitty day. Sorry.*

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

My momma always said if you don't have anything nice to say about someone who just died don't say anything at all.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think we were three or four posts into that Reagan thread when people were saying things like "Good" and "It's about time." and stuff like that.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And failing miserably at it. What, Dowd once referenced her as Saint Elizabeth? Wow, there's some hard "evidence." So she said mean things about the woman who was sleeping with her husband as she battled cancer? What a vindictive shrew!

A rather pathetic "laundry list" if you ask me. She must've been a damn fine person if that's the best evidence (non game change, of course) Dick could find of her character shortcomings. You could dig up far worse than that about most national political figures.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

21 asked if there were other instances where she was criticized other than "Game Change," so I looked around to see. Seemingly she rubbed some people in D.C. the wrong way over several years, and that report wasn't confined only to "Game Change."

I don't understand the depth of the attachment to this person here, the strong emotions coming to the surface here - particularly the anger. At some point, I guess she stopped being a person and started being a symbol for people struggling through two forms of very relatable adversity. But I think it dishonors her to extract parts of her humanity to serve our purposes. Why can't she be both? Why can't she be someone who treated campaign employees poorly, and also someone who fought an inspirational battle with cancer and personal difficulty?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dick, looking through the various threads here, you have four or five honest-to-goodness pissing matches going on at the same time, usually with multiple people on each thread. Try some decaf.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Dick,

Pissing matches can be great, but not on a RIP thread.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

John Edwards is a horrible, horrible person.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Can't you wait until he's dead??

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I know I can't wait until he's dead.

OK, sorry. But anyway, he's dead to me. I must say he fooled me once upon a time, which just makes him more of a dick in retrospect.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

LOL

Some of the best threads I remember on this board revolved around this creep. Oh, the board fellatio this guy used to get. JR, Fenian, so many others.

And it wasn't enough for his to screw around on his wife, all the while acting like the Man of the Year. Once he was caught red handed with the bimbo, he STILL tried to weasel his way out of it. Remember how his aide was supposed to be the dad of the baby?

An all time creep.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

In his defense, was misled as to how long he'd have to keep the secret. Damn Docs.

Draft saved Draft deleted