1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Elizabeth Edwards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Dec 7, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/06/elizabeth-edwards-stops-cancer-treatment-releases-statement/

Apparently nothing more can be done. As we all know, she turned out to be the decidedly better half. I read her book, at my wife's urging, and came away with much respect, despite the fact that I'm a Republican. Had she run for president instead of her husband, I might have voted for her.

Class act. Hope she's relatively comfortable for what remains of her days.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Re: Sad news about Elizabeth Edwards

Sad shit. Deserved better.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Deserved way better. I feel awful for her kids.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Let's keep politics out of it and wish Mrs. Edwards and her family the best. Thanks.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, don't pile on a woman during her final days.

6. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

This is terrible. I feel bad for her kids -- particularly her two youngest, who, I think are not even tweens yet. Let's hope she can receive comfort and peace in her remaining days.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Other than the anecdotes in Game Change, which reflected on her as political wife with a straying husband, do you have any other basis for knowing whether she is 'different' from how she is portrayed?

You have a handful of tales from a political saga, balanced against the very public persona of a woman who was publicly humiliated repeatedly by her husband. Hard to argue that she didn't handle the whole baby mama ordeal--and her husband's lies about it--in an incredibly classy and gracious manner.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It is from "Game Change," correct. But, like I said, she certainly has been a class act in public, dealing with her disease and John's infidelity. I just always worry that we are trying to beatify real people with flaws and warts like all of us.

And I will contend for the 1,000th time that she has nothing to be humiliated about, just as Elin Woods did not. John Edwards humiliated himself, not his wife.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No one was trying to 'beautify' her.

They said she was a class act, and expressed sadness that she was dying.

Not sure why you would use the opportunity to call her 'not anywhere close to a class act on a daily basis. Raging bully is more like it,' based on the anecdotes in a book.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know. It doesn't matter. I'll drop it.

11. KP

KP Active Member

ABC reporting she has died. RIP.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

MSNBC just reported that she passed.

Prayers for the kids.

Draft saved Draft deleted