1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Edwin Newman (NBC)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Sep 21, 2010.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/16/local/la-me-edwin-newman-20100916

I looked and looked and looked but didn't see this obit anywhere on the site, so if it already here feel free to delete.

I always wondered why he made such a fuss about the English language going down hill, but now, seeing how it is careening around a corner after going down the hill, I sort of understand why he wrote two books to try to save it. RIP.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I remember seeing him on NBC News all the time, like those prime-time newsbreaks, another quaint relic of the past.

I also remember his cameo in "Spies Like Us."

Also, one thing that always stuck in my mind. Sometime in the '80s, there was this NBC sitcom (forget the name) about a couple with a teen son that ran a daycare center. Anyway, one episode had a scene where the son told his friend he tried to butter up the dad by telling him how hip he was. The following exchange:

"You're dad's not hip."
    "Well, he's hipper than your dad."
    "Edwin Newman is hipper than my dad."

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I liked Newman a lot. Growing up and watching NBC News in the 80's, I considered Chancellor, Roger Mudd, and Newman as statesmen of the news. You knew it was important when they started talking.

RIP Mr. Newman.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

If you can find "Sunday Punch," check it out. Fun little novel he wrote in the '80s about a great intellect-turned-champion boxer.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

The day JFK was killed he said it was a gunshot wound to the chest.
    Neverthless, RIP to a great journalist.

Draft saved Draft deleted