1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Editor & Publisher magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OnTheRiver, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Does American Journalism Review still have a print product? Even a few years ago they were producing outstanding features, but I know they were having financial troubles. Their report on USA Today's Jack Kelley's various fiascoes was especially memorable.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This is even bigger news than "Holy Shit!"

I, too, used to read it every month. I had a subscription for a while, and when I didn't, I always read it in the library or editor's copy or whatever of the paper I was looking for. I was a devoted reader of the classifieds, as well.

It's true that Romenesko has done a lot to take its place -- but it's also true that a lot of the news Romenesko linked to CAME from E&P. So he's losing that very good source of industry news. I wonder whether it's going to be an online entity, too, but from the announcement, it certainly doesn't sound like it.

Plus, what about the yearbook with all the paper listings and addresses and things. I'd have to think those are going away, too.

Sad news to me, as sad as any newspaper cutback or closing.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Yes, we get it here in the newsroom.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I remember being a senior in college and going through that yearbook to make my list of where to send applications. THEN calling all the papers to make sure the names were still accurate and spelled correctly. Damn I was diligent then.
    One day, I said, one day, I would be listed in there!

I was in and out of the SE chair so fast I don't think they got me.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to ``Blacksmith & Buggy Whip,'' a long-ago monthly. ;D

6. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I found several jobs in E&P early in my career. But it's true, Romanesko, jjobs.com and this site have taken over many of those functions.

Nice to see that the announcement is chock-full of the usual sharkspeak one finds in announcements that alas, more of our peers are headed to the unemployment line: "wish them well in their future endeavors," "continue to assess the strategic fit," "strengthen investment in our core businesses."

All code for the fact that another round goes to the greedy minions ruining our once-proud business.

7. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I hear "Today's Paste-Up" may be next... :D

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's low.

It's accurate. But it's low.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

If they fuck with Betamax Biweekly, I am SO going to rage

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

This Week In Exacto is in deep shit.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The Pica Pole Pin-Up Calendar is going strong, at least.

wait, what

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Big vote of no-confidence in the future of reading, this.

Draft saved Draft deleted