1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Eddie "The King" Feigner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Feb 9, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

One of sports' greatest showmen dead at 81:

By The Associated Press

(AP) - Eddie Feigner, the hard-throwing softball showman who barnstormed for more than 50 years with "The King and His Court" four-man team, died Friday. He was 81.

Feigner, known for his trademark crewcut and bulging right arm, died in Huntsville, Ala., from a respiratory ailment, longtime friend and teammate Jack Knight said.

With a fastball once clocked at 104 mph, Feigner threw 930 no-hitters, 238 perfect games and struck out 141,517 batters while playing more than 10,000 games. He was inducted into the National Senior Softball Hall of Fame in 2000.

A stroke in 2000 _ a day after he threw out the first pitch before the women's softball competition in the Sydney Olympics _ ended his playing career at age 75. He left the team for medical reasons last summer, and lived in Trenton, Tenn., for the last several years until recently moving to Huntsville. Knight said Feigner also suffered from dementia.
  2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hella way to go out. Great showman. RIP.
  3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

Damn it.

I have two things up in my room. One is a framed autographed jersey of Mike Minter. The other is a poster autographed by the members of The King and His Court when the Court played a group of youth softball girls and some members of the media.

A great storyteller, and from everything I had heard, a better man. RIP Eddie.
  4. Double J

Double J Active Member

He would strike guys out while pitching from second base. One of those guys you figured would go on forever. A real legend.

RIP, Your Majesty. :'(
  5. patchs

patchs Active Member

The guy came to my town a bunch of times. People loved him, true showman and competitor.
  6. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

The guy was supposed to come to a town I worked several years back, his PR department (i.e. his wife) badgering me constantly about getting it pub. And then at the last minute, they backed out because of storms down south? It was weird.

RIP anyway. Not too many barnstormers out there anymore.
  7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I remember him from a Miller High Life commercial. Actually let someone get a flyout against him. Didn't he strike out 4-5 major leaguers in a row once?
  8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Anyone else find it appropriate that Feigner was 81 and spnited posted the obit?

That said, watched him pitch against the Little Caesar's teams years ago with players like Jim Northrup and other MLBers... guy was awesome...
  9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well, spnited did cover Feigner in minor ball, so it was only right. :D
  10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes -- In a two-inning exhibition in 1967, he struck out Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Brooks Robinson, Maury Wills, Harmon Killebrew and Roberto Clemente. Mays fanned on a behind-the-back pitch from the “King”.
  11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I went 1 for 2 against him at the plate when I was a sports editor of a small-town newspaper about eight years ago. It was a couple of us media types and some local athletes. Fun time. Nice man, spoke to him for several minutes and got to do a nice story on him.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Covered an appearance by King and his Court at the old Fraser Field in Lynn in the early '80s for the Phoenix, back when Feigner was on the Miller Lite ads and payroll. Wonderful stories and a fine show. Sorry to hear of another piece of pure Americana passing on.
Draft saved Draft deleted