1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Eddie Money

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I saw Huey in Vegas at Bally's, where they had a makeshift arena in the basement
    The best part, as you might guess, was the a cappella segment

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Have to point out their credentials: The News had played on Elvis Costello’s first album while Huey had been a touring member of Thin Lizzy, singing background vocals and playing harmonica.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I make no apologies for seeing HLN twice live - call it "dad rock" if you want - they would still be the headliners if they toured with Hootie and the Blowfish (another band I make no apologies for).

4. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

How does Cyndi Lauper not belong? She had 10 top-40 hits, which included a pair of No. 1s and six other top-10s. She was headlining arenas when "We Are the World" was done. Her six-year run from 83-88 was outstanding. I saw her once, toward the end of that era. The opening act? Eddie Money.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Unapologetic nerd here:
    I owned "Sports" on vinyl.

I still like Hootie and the Blowfish. Darius Rucker lives here and every now and then locals are treated to someone getting very excited when they see him and screaming, "HOOTIE!" He handles it with more grace than many of us -okay, I- would.

Every time she comes out with a CD, it's mine. Back when Tower was around, it was me and every Gay man of a certain age in Nashville waiting for Cyndi's latest to drop.

FileNotFound and maumann like this.
  6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That wasn't the News on "My Aim is True." It was Clover, Huey's band before the News. The only member of the News that was in Clover and played on that album was Sean Hopper, the keyboardist.

Sincerely,
    The nerd who is wearing an Elvis Costello t-shirt as I type this

Neutral Corner, garrow, Huggy and 2 others like this.
  7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

My mistake. I always heard it was the guys who became the News sans Huey. I actually looked it up after posting and saw it was not the same group.

I have not felt this let down by music history since I learned the true story of how Hall and Oates met, and not what I had imagined based on a line in the Rolling Stone music guide.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

All right, I want all of you to do an experiment.

I hadn't even heard Winger for years until I heard "Headed For A Heartbreak" on a 1989 countdown a couple of weeks ago.

So go listen to "Headed For A Heartbreak" and then go listen to the vast majority of vocals by Dave Grohl in Foo Fighters.

While the Foo Fighters' music is better by several measures, the vocals are a lot closer than to Winger than anyone would ever want to admit.

As for Eddie Money? RIP. A pleasant listen and seemed like a good dude. "Two Tickets To Paradise" is a great song. Kinda power pop, kinda not, kinda emblematic of the so-called corporate, label-driven rock out at the time. (Some of which was good regardless of its origins and critical disparagement.)

"Walk On Water" is a rare late 80s corporate, made-for-MTV song that is actually an enjoyable listen too.

But RRHOF'er? Get the fuck out of here. If he gets in, I want Artful Dodger in. (Unless you're Jenn Wenner, we don't just get to pick the bands/artists we like and say they're HOFers. There has to be some influence beyond just being likable. Eddie Money had zero influence on anything.)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    X-Hack likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I just meant Cyndi was at her peak at that point. I guess you could say the same for Richie - but he was HUGE and also had a great career with the Commodores.

My definative ranking of those who sang on WATW (based not on quality or whatever, but magnitude of career)

1. Stevie Wonder, 2. Michael Jackson (the predator stuff knocks him down from no. 1, 3. Elton John 4. Ray Charles, 5. Billy Joel, 6. Paul Simon, 7. Willie Nelson, 8. Bob Dylan, 9. Springsteen (mainly because not many others sing his songs), 10. Smokey Robinson (why he was relegated to the chorus I have no idea( 11. Kenny Rogers, 12. Diana Ross, 13. Dionne Warwick, 14. Hall (and Oates), 15. Lionel Richie, 16. Tina Turner 17. Kenny Loggins, 18. Waylon Jennings (member of chorus). 19. Al Jarreau, 20. Steve Perry, 21. Huey Lewis (and News), 22. Harry Belafonte (civil rights icon, but outside of Day-O - what did he sing?) 23. Cyndi Lauper, 24. The Pointer Sisters 25. James Ingram, 26. Bob Geldof (mainly because the relief song was his baby) 27. Kim Carnes, 28. The other Jacksons (would the Jackson 5 been a thing without Michael - and where was Janet?) 28. Bette Midler (Bigger Star than most on this list - but musically, more of a live draw than chart hits - The Rose excepted) 29. Jeffrey Osborne, 30., Lindsey Buckingham (if it was Fleetwood Mac they'd be top 10 - alone? not so much)
    31. Sheila E.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Elton John didn't contribute to "We Are The World."

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No.

No, no, no, no.