1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Eddie Money

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Sep 13, 2019.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I encountered Eddie Money twice, once as a Gaylord wonk and later on as an art student in the East Bay. Both times he seemed nice enough, but had that floaty, not quite there quality.

The best concert track ever:

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Smiths
    Dick Dale

Depeche Mode
    Kraftwerk
    Devo
    Outkast
    Iron Maiden

It's criminal that Dick Dale didn't get in during his lifetime.

And I've ranted about this before, but the "That's not Rock and Roll" argument carries no weight with me. Rock is not required to be white guys with long hair playing guitar. Beyond that, genres boundaries are stupid and meaningless. The Eagles are in. Garth Brooks is not. Anyone want to explain the difference to me? Because the only real difference is his hat.

3. PCLoadLetter

The version of "Surrender" is incredible, but "Surrender" is already a classic song. On record "I Want You To Want Me" is really tepid. The Budokan version blows it out of the water.

I Should Coco and OscarMadison like this.
  4. He looked TERRIBLE in that Geico spot. It was sad/pathetic on an Orson Wells level

He was also reduced to playing really small venues. Should have taken better care of his money.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Even if she is RRHOF, Janet Jackson will always be remembered for the Super Bowl.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Not to thread jack further, but Cheap Trick and "At Budokan" were also inspiration for This Is Spinal Tap.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. PCLoadLetter

Was record shopping a week ago and picked up an old Tommy James and the Shondells record in great shape.

It was a good reminder of two things:

1) Really great band. Would totally vote for them for the Hall.

B) The original version of "Crimson and Clover" is almost unlistenable. Just absolutely terrible. Whoever produced it did them an incredible disservice. There's a great song lurking in there -- the Joan Jett cover absolutely smokes the original.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

1981, he’s on the bottom and as a freshman I hear he’s “headlining” Friday Night at the SAE house kegger party; dude was way gone, could barely talk, let alone sing, but damn it was still so cool to see him there. May he RIP.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I always think of them as a "doo wop" group because of their name. This song still holds up (as long as you don't listen too closely to the lyrics).

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It was 1968-69; everybody was going in the studios, playing with all the knobs, turning up distortion, recording backwards vocals, etc etc. The songs were also recorded mainly to be played on transistor radios or tinny car speakers. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

maumann likes this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Loved the story about "Mirage." Someone accidentally flipped the master tape to "I Think We're Alone Now" in the studio and Tommy James really liked that chord progression when played backward. In my opinion, Mirage is the better song. (You wouldn't ever think of doing that now with digital recording.)

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted