1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Eddie Money

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah. But the past few years, he (or some people in the decision making machinery) have apparently been realizing they're going to have to put in some people from genres they've been snubbing, because the barrel of mainstream "rock" acts is starting to run dry, a phenomenon which is going to really explode in the 2020s and beyond.

After the onset of the Napster/iTunes era and the en masse switchover to downloading as opposed to music on disc as the predominant delivery vehicle, the entire edifice of "album rock" pretty much fell apart.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Joan Jett, etc

I don’t like the music of any of the artists you named. But I understand their influence. I don’t see much difference between him and Mellencamp. Mellencamp was more Americana, I guess.

TigerVols likes this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You could say the same about Janet Jackson, who just got in. Mariah will get in eventually. So will Taylor Swift. I saw her last year with my daughter. The woman is ridiculously talented.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Taylor Swift is an incredible songwriter.

5. Starman

A fair amount of Janet Jackson's prime-career stuff was recognizable as rock. I've been pounding my brain and I can't think of anything Carey has ever done which could be remotely described as "rock."
    A lot of it is good stuff and I like it just fine, but it ain't rock.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Eddie Money, Hall of Fame rock name.

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I always wondered why the Moody Blues never got any love
    When they finally were nominated they got in right away
    One 60s group who could benefit from what you’re saying is Tommy James and the Shondells

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Black Cat's a rock song. So is Rhythm Nation, I'd argue. I'm sure there are others, but those two jumped out at me right away.

9. Starman

In the next decade or so you'll see a constant stream of "veterans committee " honorees as the 25-year eligibility window for new groups moves forward and the current field gets drier and drier.

For instance, as I mentioned earlier, the Guess Who and Bachman-Turner Overdrive. Grand Funk. Tommy James, absolutely.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Legend of a Mind by the Moody Blues IS the 60s, man.

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My fave. And just for the record, he had nine Mainstream Rock top 10s, 3 no. 1s. His music really was an outlier - was still playing rock when the charts were all disco and synths.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I stand corrected about Mellencamp, but I still think he is at least a cut below Springsteen and Seger

Draft saved Draft deleted