1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Eddie Money

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Sep 13, 2019.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Those "big hits"? He had two top ten singles in his entire career.

Look, man, I've got nothing against Eddie Money. If you like that stuff, cool. But Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? That's the equivalent of a second baseman hitting .260 going in the Baseball hall.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Come on, you know better than to judge a band on how many top 10 songs they had. The Grateful Dead and Led Zeppelin only had one each, IIRC, with Touch of Grey and Whole Lotta Love. Top 10 means they were hot in the moment. His music has staying power. What makes Bon Jovi, Kiss or Def Leppard better than him? You don't hear more of their songs on the radio than you do Eddie Money.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That's why will always love this place, guys debating the relative merits of Eddie Money (not a HOFer in my book). And anyone who rips Gino Vanelli can go fuck their hat. Not a HOFer - even here in Canuckistan - but black cars do look better in the shade.

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Winger? Did you recently fall and hit your head?

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Also, not enough kids named Eddie anymore. I don't think my kids know a single Eddie. Everyone should know an Eddie.

6. PCLoadLetter

I'm not the one making the "big hits" argument. That was you, and he did not have them.

"Staying power"? OK.

Look, man, he was a decent, workmanlike entertainer. Plenty of people who were responsible for booking state fair entertainment were thankful for Eddie Money. He couldn't not have been much more generic or forgettable. Several songs were pleasant.

7. PCLoadLetter

Again... wasn't suggesting Winger was good.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Eddie Haskell ruined the name.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. PCLoadLetter

Gonna have "Black Cars" going through my head the rest of the day now.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I guess I was too loosey goosey with the term "big hits." I think of them as songs that are still being played decades after their first release.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So you're saying, outside of his hometown, he won't be A1 like Collins?

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Not a Hall of Famer but a solid career
    He opened Pine Knob, the outdoor amphitheater outside Detroit, every summer
    This was his best song
    RIP

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted