1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ed Reinke

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nietsroob17, Oct 19, 2011.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Longtime AP photographer dies at 60. He had suffered a head injury covering the IndyCar race at Kentucky.

I know I used a lot of his art from the Derby and all the college events around Kentucky and into Cincy.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20111019/NEWS0104/111019037/Photographer-Ed-Reinke-saw-what-others-didn-t-see-?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

2. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Tragic news.
    He was a fellow Indiana University grad and I worked with him as an intern at the Cincinnati Enquirer.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I didn't know Ed, but his photos were always amazing. My thoughts with his family and friends. Haven't heard one unkind word spoken about him.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/toedreinke/

That group was set up shortly after he was hospitalized.

This was put together by fellow photographer James Crisp.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Probably couldn't count how many Reinke photos I've used over the years. RIP.

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Just terribly sad news. He was such a great shooter, and from all accounts a great guy. Lots of sad people around this way right now.

Like Bubbler, I can't count how many of his pictures I have used over the years.

6. DK

DK Member

I was always glad when Ed was the one assigned my game when I covered Ky. preps back in the 1980s. Great photographer. Super guy. RIP.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Was his head injury work related?

RIP

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, first post says it came as he covered the IndyCar race at Kentucky, so not sure I follow the question ...

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Yeah, he was injured in a fall at the race at Kentucky Speedway on the job.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

And if that's not enough:

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

IJAG, I thought the story was vague. I was more wondering if he got hit by something from the track.

Draft saved Draft deleted