1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ed McMahon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

After what he's been through the last few years, Ed is truly in a better place right now...

RIP

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Now we know who to blame.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I remember, vividly, where I was for the last *real* Tonight Show -- balls deep into a one-night lass. :) Oh, the good times.

RB

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Obviously, his Tonight Show legacy is his hallmark. And he has several other things to be remembered by, but let us not forget his foray into blaxsploitation in the early 70s.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

damn, damn, damn.

rip.

6. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Was sad to hear. So many good memories from growing up watching Johnny and Ed before going to bed.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Marine pilot, too, in both WWII and Korea.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Growing up, when we got the Publisher's Clearinghouse envelopes, I had dreams of Ed McMahon showing up with an oversized check at our house.

RIP.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You are correct, sir!

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

I haven't watched The Tonight Show once since Johnny and Ed were on the air.

Pretty much says it all. No due will ever match the chemistry they had.

RIP.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

When The Tonight Show moved from NY to LA, Ed came home and told his wife and kids they wouldn't be making the move.

That started him on a streak of marrying much younger women.

Hi yo!

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

One wonders if he squandered his money so much that he had to keep working into his 80s, or whether he thought he'd die if he stopped, a la Charles M. Schultz and Bear Bryant.

Anyhoo, Ed was kinda the comfort food of entertainment; you knew what you were going to get, and you knew it wasn't going to be haute cuisine, but you knew it would be consistently satisfying. Many times, when a Johnny monologue was bombing (and in the last 10-15 years of the show, a ton did; very few Leno monologues out and out bombed), Ed would be the one carrying the mail. Here's hoping he had a lot of Colonial Penn Life. R.I.P.

Draft saved Draft deleted