1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Ed Brinkman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The old Senators and Tigers shortstop dies at 66:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081001/SPORTS02/810010363/1050/NLETTER03&source=nletter-sports

I came to know him in more recent years when he was scouting. Great guy.

[​IMG]

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Shit. It was a bad day already and now it is even worse. One of my childhood heroes.
    RIP

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Very good defensive shortstop, if childhood memory serves me correctly.

RIP

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Weak hitting but far better than Ray Oyler... RIp to one of my heroes growing up...

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

it never failed that I would get an ed brinkman card in every pack of baseball cards I bought.
    if only those had been mickey mantle.
    RIP

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

ditto.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

For those who remember the other side of Brinkman

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

With you Moddy ... I grew up a Senators fan, and he was a great guy. He'd go to high school baseball games on his off-days just to watch kids play. He used to be a .185 hitter, but Ted Williams got hold of him when he managed the Senators from 1969-71, and turned him into a decent .260 guy. That was as good a job of helping someone turn into a slightly marginal major league hitter as any I've heard. And Brinkman was always great with the glove.

Fucking Bob Short ... traded Brinkman and Auerlio Rodriguez (3b) his whole left of the infield, and Joe Coleman, for that tool Denny McLain -- and the dork promptly went 10-22 in 1971. In the meantime, for the Tigers, Coleman won 62 games in three years (20-game winner twice), Rodriguez hit double-digit homers in 1971 and 1972 and Brinkman made only 15 errors in 1971 and only SEVEN error sin 1972.

I've always hope Bob Short has been toasty and warm in Hell for that one.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And on the other side of the deal, we thank Jim Campbell for being so astute to make that trade.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

R.I.P. He had a lackluster end to his career with the Cards

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'll never forget watching some ESPNClassic retrospective, just before the channel went completely down the drain, but just as it started circling, and Norman Chad was cracking wise about the Washington Senators, using Eddie Brinkman as his punch line.

Curt Gowdy was also on the show (I can't even remember what it was about or why Gowdy and Chad would be in the same panel) and he took Chad to task, saying Brinkman was a helluva fielder, a good man, and in his era, wasn't expected to be that much of a hitter considering the dead-ball times of the late 60s and the expectation of banjo hitting in general back then by middle infielders.

A chastened Chad just shut his mouth.

Since Brinkman played before my time, that's my memory. RIP.

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Sort of sticks in my memory that the Tigers, in a slump, once batted Brinkman in the clean-up slot and won a game -- must have been April Fools'.

One of my favorites. RIP.

YD&OHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted