1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Earl Weaver

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Jan 19, 2013.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know, Vers. There are considerably more people these days who remember Weaver than saw Musial.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's a reasonable point. But boys of all eras (well, all post-World War II eras) grew up idolizing Stan Musial. He was one of the greats. Earl Weaver was a manager.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Not that one death is more "important" than another, but Earl managed a lot more recently than Musial played, so he's probably more relevant to more baseball fans.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

FWIW, we played it pretty even on facing tabloid pages. It wasn't a mirror image, but we had career stats for both and a solid 22-24" obit.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

All due respect to Weaver, who is a very deserving Hall of Famer and whose death was a big deal in its own right, but I consider Musial in the top echelon of Hall members.

In my case, Weaver was more my time, but I also read everything I could about baseball history when I was a kid in the 70s, so I personally knew all about Musial, though he stopped playing about five years before I was born.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This photo is so great in so many ways, from the cigarettes and Schlitz cans to Stanhouse's "Stan the Man Unusual" t-shirt to Weaver's appendectomy scar.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. From the SI Vault Twitter feed.
    Earl and his wife Marianna outside their home in 1980.
    Looks like astroturf around the pool.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Roger Angell on Earl Weaver.

www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/sportingscene/2013/01/postscript-earl-weaver-1930-2013.html

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's not even close to true. I grew up in the '70s-'80s (1982 Brewers best team EVAH!) and even among older players, you'd have Mantle and Mays and Williams and Aaron and then some pitchers. I don't think Stan Musial's name would crack the top 10 of multigenerational idols. Not to say he wasn't as good as them, he just didn't have the reach.

Earl Weaver, though -- even though I didn't know how smart he was back then, he was always high on my list for his tirades. Probably the most famous manager of his day with the possible exception of Lasorda.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Let's not quibble. They were pitching assignments. I mean the left-right platooning and pinch-hitting, preferring guys who got on base, disdaining the steal ... stuff like that

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Interesting. I grew up probably a decade and a half after you, and I always counted Stan Musial among my all-time baseball icons, with those guys you mentioned and Roberto Clemente and Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. And I was nowhere close to St. Louis and didn't know any Cardinals fans.

Earl Weaver was retired by the time I could read a box score, so while I knew who he was from reading books, I never valued him, particularly not over players. Even as a kid I knew managing in baseball wasn't that fucking important. :D

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Thanks for that link. Can't get enough of the Earl stories (although even legends like Angell make mistakes - Terry Crowley was not a switch-hitter).

Draft saved Draft deleted