1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Earl Weaver

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pretty solid.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Only bad thing I can say about Earl is that he let my favorite player as a kid get away after his first season as manager:

[​IMG]

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Well, the O's got Mike Cuellar in that trade so I'd say Baltimore did OK in that move. :)

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Earl Weaver was the Orioles. As a lifelong fan, this hurts, even though you know it was going to come someday. Baltimore is lucky to have had a number of guys to spend their entire (great) careers with the O's: Earl, Brooks, Cakes, Cal. RIP, Earl. You certainly helped supply me with a lot of great memories.

Also, while Weaver & Palmer quarreled, Weaver certainly had the utmost respect for Palmer: http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2013/01/palmer-becomes-emotional-remembering-weaver.html

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Weaver was using Moneyball concepts when Billy Beane was playing T-ball. Except it was all in his head. Disdaining bunts and steals, taking the sure out on sacrifice attempts by the other team and winning on pitching and a couple of three-run homers per game.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Today, Weaver became the Farrah Fawcett of baseball deaths (For those who don't remember, she died one morning in 2009, a few hours before Michael Jackson's death became public).

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I will miss Earl Weaver very much.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It wasn't all in his head, Hondo. I remember seeing Weaver in the dugout at Fenway in 1980, looking at a notebook where he'd written his plans for the starting rotation and major bullpen assignments for the next two months!

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The best Weaver around... somewhere Alice Sweet is crying...

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It might be where you are. On the East coast, Weaver's death is about as big as Stan's.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted