1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Earl Scruggs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SF_Express, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP to the man who made a ballad of Jed Clampett a household song.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

RIP

My daughter and I watched about 15 minutes of him on youtube. She was facinated by the banjo, but kept asking why the songs didn't have any words. I told her that not all songs have words.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

A bonding moment that you'll never forget no doubt.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That was terrific, thank you.

5. 93Devil

My Uncle Toney asked me to make him a bluegrass CD off of downloads about 10 years ago, and Scruggs was on about 90 percent of the songs.

Steve martin also earns some serious street cred when watching these youtube videos.

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Wow, you know, I had forgotten this, but reading your post, I suddenly remember Bea Benaderet as Jethro's mom, Pearl, and some sort of silly episode about Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs "courting" her as rivals. I remember Lester singing, "Pearl, Pearl, Pearl, don't you marry Earl."
    Geez, thanks for knocking that loose from the depths. I was a little kid then.

But of course I appreciate Earl Scruggs for much more than the Hillbillies. Late 60s, early '70s, when country music seemed really virulently opposed to the then-youth culture and "hippies," Earl was one of the few established Nashville artists who tried to bridge the gap.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Did Flatt and Scruggs do "You're My Real Good Friend?" I have that song on a long lost mp3 player somewhere - love that song.

Bea Benedaret was indeed Pearl and the mom on Petticoat Junction. Busy woman.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I misplaced the link, but the obit in the Tennessean is damn good.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I guess my introduction was "Foggy Morning Breakdown" when they showed us "Bonnie and Clyde" during my freshman year of high school in 1973-74.

Somewhere in the boxes of cassettes, I have some Scruggs stuff. More often when I am in the mood for bluegrass, I listen to Seldom Scene or the "newgrass" type of bands, especially Railroad Earth (which I've seen live a few times).

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Would have never guessed he was still alive. Would have figured he went years ago.

And definitely would have projected him at more than 88. I would have thought he would have been at a number to make our boy Abe Vigoda envious

11. 93Devil

People, this obit is epic. Be sure to browse the photos, also.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2012/03/28/earl-scruggs-country-music-hall-of-famer-dies-at-age-88/

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A while back I thought I remember seeing Flatt and Scruggs perform Foggy Mountain breakdown on a Beverly Hillbillies rerun. Sure enough:

The Beverly Hillbillies: Bonnie, Flatt and Scruggs All Movie Guide Review

This episode cashes in on the renewed popularity of frequent Beverly Hillbillies guest stars Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs, who wrote and performed most of the background music for the 1967 film hit Bonnie and Clyde. Ever seeking out publicity for the Commerce Bank of Beverly Hills, Mr. Drysdale dreams up a TV commercial wherein the Clampett family dresses up like the Barrow gang and robs the bank. Inevitably, Flatt and Scruggs perform their hit tune "Foggy Mountain Breakdown," as well as a new composition, "The Ballad of Milburn Drysdale." The supporting cast includes buxom Joi Lansing as Mrs. Flatt (sic!), and raspy-voiced Percy Helton, making his first appearance as downtrodden bank clerk Homer Cratchit. "Bonnie, Flatt and Scruggs" was first telecast on November 20, 1968. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi

Draft saved Draft deleted