1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP - Dwight White

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 6, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The O-line on juice? That I beleive.

The D-line? What member of the defense had muscles growing on his earlobes? Ham? Lambert? L.C.? Mel? Wagner? Shell? Fats Holmes? Dwight? Mean Joe)

So Swann was on the juice? Stallworth? Rocky? Franco? Bradshaw?

Fucking Grossman?

Was Webster, Brown and some of the other offensive lineman? Yeah. I'm not going to say that they were not.

But those are not the guys in Canton.

2. 93Devil

RIP Dwight

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm not like that. My dad's not like that. My family's not like that. To paint all Steelers fans the same is quite stupid to do.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It apparently only affected White to the degree that he had back problems that required surgery, and he wound up with a blood clot as a result of the surgery. Not really a direct connection.

Ernie Holmes died in a car wreck, Joe Gilliam had longstanding issues with drug abuse, Terry Long committed suicide, Justin Strzelczyk died in a car crash, Steve Courson was killed by a falling tree, Theo Bell had kidney disease, James Parrish had cancer, David Woodley had alcohol abuse problems that led to kidney failure, David Little was suffocated by a barbell that fell on his neck.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If I'm not wrong Strelczyk had some severe issues with depression.

Courson had some bigtime heart problems until his freakish death. Which the usual suspects here joked about.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Maybe this helps:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/search/s_462321.html

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Good story.

I would question Stallworth's incredulity, re.: Pittsburgh's non-status, in his mind, as a drug "epicenter."

I guess the 1980s Pirates were on Flintstones Chewables.

8. 93Devil

You brought up a couple of good points. I would caution though to compare the steroids of today with what was being used in the 1970s. Steroids are a medical product that is constantly being changed and improved upon by doctors, cheats and crooks. What was being used back then might compare with the computer of 1970 and what I am typing on today.

One thing that would make me question that steroids were making Swann jump higher, Bradshaw throw longer and Harris run faster is that if all this was true in the 1970s, why did it take over a decade for these wonder drugs to make it into baseball?

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Might want to check your HOF roster for Webster.

10. 93Devil

Steroids is what I was focusing.

The reds and the greens were all over the place in baseball and other sports. For how long? 40 years? But I do not think steroids became a major factor in baseball until about 1987 give or take a year or two.

I'm talking about steroids which is what some were saying was the difference between the 1970 Steelers and the rest of the league.

11. 93Devil

I noticed that when I typed it, but can you name one other Steeler lineman from the 1970s? If you can, the HOF sure as shit cannot.

Draft saved Draft deleted