1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP - Dwight White

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Former Steeler dies at 58 ...

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jseFKQNyZG2Kf7Yj0AG9aWVmuOSgD914ONEG0

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Seriously... what virulent type of steroid were those 1970s Steelers teams hopped up on?

3. Inky_Wretch

He apparently died following complications from back surgery.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jseFKQNyZG2Kf7Yj0AG9aWVmuOSgD914SH304

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

At least 38 former Steelers players have died since 2000, with 17 of them 59 or younger, as was White.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That stat is something.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Heard the news on the way to work, was sad to hear about that at 58. RIP.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

St Petersburg Times, Jan. 29, 2006:

<i>A 1994 study of 7,000 former players by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health found linemen had a 52 percent greater risk of dying from heart disease than the general population. While U.S. life expectancy is 77.6 years, recent studies suggest the average for NFL players is 55, 52 for linemen.</i>

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This may sound strange, but I wonder if the Astroturf at Three Rivers has anything to do with it.

Years ago, I read an interview with Franco Harris. He described watching workmen tear up the turf to put down a new field. He said he was shocked to learn there was only an inch of carpet on top of concrete.

Can help but think that the pounding those guys took on their bodies slamming on that hard field has something to do with their shortened lifespans.

9. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Can't believe the surface at Three Rivers had anything to do with the Steelers specifically, because I think 50-75 Philadelphia Eagles would need to die retroactively to account for the horrible surface at the Vet.

But I'd entertain debate on the wear and tear inflicted on NFL players in general by the first few generations of artificial turf. So many of the early fields seemed to lose their sponginess after the first four or five years and then weren't replaced for another five years because the process was so expensive.

The newer stuff, sitting atop a fill of crushed tires, seems much gentler on the body. Of course, some of those products are now being questioned because of lead levels and other possible toxins.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And the same middle-aged (and older) white guys who are stuck in the 1970's and run around with their silly terrible towels chanting "here we go steelers" and drinking arn city's all day long while waxing poetic about the Super Steelers -- are the biggest hypocrites because they are the loudest ones screaming about putting an asterisk next to Barry Bonds accomplishments due to his steroids use......

11. Inky_Wretch

Is that broad brush available at Lowe's or Home Depot?

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Have you ever listened to a sports talk show in town?

One of the best bits ever was when board favorite Mark Madden spent an entire segment -- and it turned into his whole show -- challenging Steelers fans to justify their acceptance of a team built almost entirely on steroids use.

Then he'd throw the Bonds question in and the but, but, but, but, brigade would begin.

It goes to a larger point -- if you want to start diminishing the accomplishments of some because of steroids, well, you better start in your own backyard because I'm quite sure some of your favorite players and teams have some dirty laundry in their closet as well.......

Draft saved Draft deleted