1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dusty Rhodes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Truly one of the all-time major days for the Rule of Three with Rhodes, Christopher Lee and Ornette Coleman.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

For some reason I thought he'd be way older than that.

4. Key

Key Well-Known Member

One of my favorites from back in the day. RIP

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. He looked 69 about 30 years ago.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Brando definitely would've played him in the movie.

[​IMG]

I was a WWF guy when I watched wrasslin' growing up. He was an acceptable heel.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Man. This sucks. He was one of the best. Hahhhhhhhd times!

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

So sad to hear. When I started following wrestling, I wasn't able to get a lot of NWA where I live (damn cable company didn't carry TBS), but just watching him for about five minutes, whether in the ring or especially on the mic, you knew he was the star. Never saw a guy with more charisma in and out of the ring. While a guy like Hogan could get the crowd riled up, you could always just tell it was an act, if a really good one; with Dusty, he made it so believable, and I thought the connection with the fans was more real.

One thought: Everybody was bitching about the "Dusty finish" to close out the Elimination Chamber main event. Now, I can't help but wonder if the McMahons knew that time was short for Rhodes and they booked it that way as sort of a tip of the cap to the Dream.

Gutter likes this.
  9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I grew up on NWA wrestling, and really didn't pay much attention to the WWF until Ric Flair jumped. He played opposite to Flair better than anyone, even Sting, because he could play the heel to Flair's face as well as when the roles were in their usual Dusty/face, Flair/heel storyline.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is sad. ... When I saw the thread title, I knew the name, but I couldn't place it. The visual images in my mind went from Dusty Baker to Dusty Springfield to me scratching my head. It wasn't until I clicked on the thread that I was smacking my forehead. RIP.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I think that I will go put someone in a weaverlock as tribute. I have not followed wrestling in 20 years but there are still a few Dusty Rhodesisms that a few of us will yell for cheap laughs.

FWIW he really did connect with fans. His "hard times" promo was great. He took a crappy gimmick from WWF and turned it into something that people got on board with.

We used to get UWF tapes featuring Rhodes announced by Jim Ross that were beyond awesome, at that time anyway.

12. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

Vigoda.

Draft saved Draft deleted