1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP ... Due to Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Apr 2, 2020.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Maybe each deserves their own thread, but we're seeing a lot of RIP threads on the front page right now due to COVID 19, and I suspect there will be more. Maybe we can keep them all here.

I'll start with the death of jazz legend Ellis Marsalis. Father of Wynton and Branford (the two most famous of his four jazz musician sons), Marsalis mentored artists such as Harry Connick Jr. and more.

I thought Branford was excellent on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, but my first exposure to the Marsalis family was when Wynton played a jazz concert at my high school. In an effort to connect to a bunch of dumb high schoolers who had little interest in jazz and even less knowledge, he mentioned that he wrote the music for "I'm Cool Like Dat" by the Digable Planets, which was a big hit at the time. I recently saw them in concert and, of course, they closed their set with that song. I couldn't help but think of Wynton then and I'm sad for him tonight.

[​IMG]

misterbc and OscarMadison like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That family is crazy talented. Wynton also made his mark in classical music. Branford had a bit of an acting career and I've always dug Buckshot LeFonque.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

B. Marsalis' collaboration with Buckshot LeFonque is a masterpiece.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Marsalis left The Tonight Show because he refused to be the house negro and laugh at all of Leno’s stupid jokes. Said so himself after he left. I respected that principled stand then — and even more now when there are damn few principled stands to be found.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No, he said he left because he found out the job was to be an ass kisser. Still a principled stand.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

You said it better than I did.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Typical celebrity yes-but-no. . What in hell did he think he was signing up for in the first place?

heyabbott likes this.
  8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Money. And kudos to him for getting plenty of it before saying fuck it.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

See its different because he's black. He had to respond to comments that would not have been made to Doc or McMahon. Its not the same for everyone.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Questlove has said the same thing about the Roots doing Tonight - being a musician and having a steady gig, being able to figure out how much money you will be bringing home at the end of the year - and getting some friends some steady work. It isn't like they don't have time to still get into the studios or do gigs. You can have a four-hour work day, pre-show rehearsal, doing the show and you're out by 6:30 p.m.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good for him. Had his own music career anyway ... and collaborated with the likes of Sting and James Taylor on the side.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted