1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dr. Z

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, Nov 1, 2018.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I am glad he has been relieved of his burden, but a hell of a lot of knowledge is gone in a wisp. That's not good for football or the enterprise.
    We are in an era where we simply cannot afford the loss of expertise.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Loved his columns when I watched and read all the NFL I could get. He watched and wrote about football like nobody else. I loved his year-end wrapup of NFL announce teams.

RIP Dr Z

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

He lived around the corner from me. Straight up good guy.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A true legend who has been missed since his retirement. He knew the league inside and out. RIP to a giant in his field.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I always loved his story of the Jets going to play in San Diego, and, on a night off, Weeb Ewbank and some assistants go to Tijuana.

They get confronted by a guy asking them if they want to buy filthy movies. Ewbank replies, "Christ no. I've been watching movies all day."

RIP to a sportswriting legend.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's worth noting that two of the giants of the field who've recently passed, Z and Dave Anderson, both covered the Jets of the '60s.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ken Stabler's daughter weighs in:

Anybody else know the rest of the story?

8. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Like many here I own it and still just randomly open it and start reading. As a consumer of quality sports writing for a hell of a long time I can say he has a place among the best. “He played the game”.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Using someone's death as an opportunity to bring up old grudges about the Hall of Fame says more about them than it does about Dr. Z.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, you're probably not going to bring up old grudges about someone whom nobody is talking about, as the reaction would be, "WTF? Where did that come from?"

And at this point, the only reason Dr. Z was ever going to be in the news again was his death. So . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted