1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dr. Z

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, Nov 1, 2018.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Per Peter King's Twitter:

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The documentary on him was excellent. He has been missed.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the hell out of his work.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bought and read Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football when I was in my 2os. Still have it. Still holds up.

misterbc likes this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He has indeed, but given his health issues after the stroke (more than one?) I’m glad he’s not trapped in a useless body anymore.

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

He was probably one of the biggest reasons I got into writing. I remember reading his 1986 NFL Preview in SI and thinking he was a damn idiot. Everyone knew the bears would repeat and they would play the dolphins in the super bowl. His choices? Giants vs. the Broncos. Needless to say come January, i thought he must have been a genius. Read every article afterward and any book of his I could find. My favorite he did was “the last season of weeb ewbank.”

Also, back when he was with the Post, he and dick schaap co-wrote a great piece on the New York Mets in 1969. It was a breakdown of a day when the Mets beat the cubs in a big game. I assume schaap wrote the game stuff, while Zimmerman did the odd stuff that made it so interesting such as the retelling of a guy in queens killing his wife because she kept turning off the game to watch a soap opera. I spent a couple years trying to convince my editor to let us do the same.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

A giant to his rest.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

One of the first great internet sports columns. He was super smart, a curmudgeon for the ages and he loved good wine.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

First sportswriter I ever read regularly. RIP.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When I was in high school doing write-ups for my high school's football games for the local paper he was my hero. He provided a level of insight in a Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football that I had never been exposed to by any other writer.

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

We lost him a while ago but I guess today made it official. RIP

12. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Didn't his wife have like a blog a few years back where she posted some of his old columns or some columns that didn't make print.

Draft saved Draft deleted