1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dr. Jack Ramsay

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by exmediahack, Apr 28, 2014.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that it's "Doctor" Quant ...

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I grew up listening to him on the radio and always got excited whenever he was on the call for a game. RIP to one of the best ambassadors the sport ever had.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Correction ... Ramsay had, and Biden has, an Ed.D. Big difference (generally) as compared to a Ph.D.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

You youngsters didn't see Dr. Jack in his prime. The man knew basketball. He will be missed. RIP

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Read somewhere that he was a member of the Underwater Demolition Team (UDT), member as an Ensign from 1943 to 1946. The UDTs were the forerunners of the SEAL Teams, and conducted extraordinarily dangerous missions during WWII.Underwater Demolition Team (UDT) member as an Ensign from 1943 to 1946. The UDTs were the forerunners of the SEAL Teams, and conducted extraordinarily dangerous missions during WWII.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They were called "Frog Men" in those days, IIRC.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Dr. Tom Prichard and Dr. Jerry Graham laugh.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So does Dr. Cosby. :D

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

RIP, Dr. Jack.

He was the coach of the 76ers for the first NBA game I ever attended when I was 8 years old.

Twenty years later I was interviewing him.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Didn't realize he was quite that old. That 1977 Portland team was one of my all-time favorites. Bill Walton, Bob Gross, Dave Twardzik. I was a young guy living in the northwest at the time and, before the age of cable TV, I would listen to a lot of their games on radio.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Probably didn't realize he was quite that old because he physically active all his life. He was a triathlete up until age 70.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/26/sports/basketball/26ramsay.html?_r=0

Jim Durham (died in 2012) and Dr. Jack were a hell of a radio team.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Bob,

I liked your story from his last go-around with the Pacers. Good man all around.

As a boy, I had the NBA Guide (a yearly booklet) and the NBA Register. The Guide always had the pictures of each team's owner, head coach and GM. Still remember Ramsay's busy eyebrows and that he was born in 1924. The times I met him, I was always impressed by how quickly his mind worked and how in concert it was with his words. Even into his 80's, he was extremely well-spoken, lucid and didn't really sound like a, well, an "old man".

Draft saved Draft deleted