1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Dr. Ed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, May 18, 2009.

1. Three Christmas Eves ago, I posted about my friend, Dr. Ed, who'd been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Well, he died last Sunday morning, after battling the sumbitch for three goddamn years in which he always showed up on Christmas Eve, always brought the Newcastle, and drank his share of the holiday Jameson's. I thank the folks here who dropped a line Upstairs on his behalf on all those Christmas Eve posts. They played Mississippi John Hurt at the memorial service, too.

Here's the formal obit:

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/obituaries/articles/2009/05/17/dr_ed_bromfield_neurologist_created_boston_hospitals_epilepsy_program_58/

RIP, doc.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Fenian -sorry about your friend. From the obit he seemed like a great guy. I was good till I read this passage:

"At the shore of Washington Pond, he told his sons it would be his last visit and hugged them, both at once."

Then it got dusty real fast.

Did you ever get to play in his Wednesday hoop game?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sounds like a man who lived every day as if it were his last, even when he didn't know every day could be his last. RIP to Dr. Ed, and my condolences to you, F_B.

4. Boom --
    I was a regular for a couple years back the early '90's.
    Ed loved to rebound. Hell, he just loved to play.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

gawd damn. way too many threads on deaths these days. rip, dr. ed. :'(

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Dammit. Came on ready with a somewhat-witty Mr. Ed or Phys Ed snark... and find this.

Sorry, Fen. Sounds like a helluva guy.

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Condolences to you, Fenian.

Yitgadal v'yitkadash for Dr. Ed.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss, Fen.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Condolences, indeed. Very sad to read the obit.

Draft saved Draft deleted