1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Doug Fieger

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by fishhack2009, Feb 14, 2010.

1. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

My basic rule is: If the average music fan can cite two songs by a group ... they're not a one-hit wonder.

Sniff 'N The Tears is a one-hit wonder.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, I'm an average fan - far from an advanced fan but not a know-nuthin.
    I can't name ONE hit by Sniff 'N The Tears.
    So they're a no-hit wonder.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would hardly call Driver's Seat a hit.

4. fishhack2009

Reached No. 15 on the Hot 100 in 1979. I'd disagree, but okay. :)

5. dooley_womack1

On the Sniff N the Tears Hot 100?? Ian Gomm and Chuck Francour weep.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Knack had a third Top 40 hit, "Baby Talks Dirty," that grazed the bottom of Casey's countdown.

7. fishhack2009

Actually, the Billboard Hot 100. Ian who? Chuck who?

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Moon Martin, The Vapours, Flash & The Pan and Carolyne Mas weep too. "Drivers Seat" is a great record BTW.

Anyway, I remember the whole "Nuke The Knack" venom in the music press after their debut. But Get The Knack is a power pop masterpiece that still sounds great 30 years later.

There was plenty of great stuff on there other than "My Sharona" and "Good Girls Don't": "Your Number Or Your Name", "Let Me Out", "Maybe Tonight", "Frustrated" and a cool cover of Buddy Holly's "Heartbeat".

Of course after that The Knack embodied that classic music biz axiom that you get your whole life to make your first album, six months to make the second one. ....But The Little Girls Understand was just warmed-over Get the Knack and justifiably bombed and was absolutely skewered by this review by Dave Marsh in Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/theknack/albums/album/105362/review/5943082/but_the_little_girls_understand

Knack drummer Bruce Gary, who was great on their debut, died in 2006.

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Sharona is a real estate agent here in L.A., and I've heard she had some minor health issues of her own (dunno what they are).

www.mysharona.com

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Did Diesel ever have another hit other than the awesome "Sausalito Summer Night"?

11. dooley_womack1

Actually, during the My Sharona glory days, he was considered to be one. He did apparently mellow out.

12. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

"Frustrated" wasn't bad, either. And it got some air time way back there.

Draft saved Draft deleted