1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Doug Atkins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Member of both the College and Pro Football Halls of Fame. Star with Tennessee and the Bears, and an original New Orleans Saint:

Hall of Famer Doug Atkins dies at age 85

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The Big Guy was one of pro football's all-time great characters, not to mention a tremendous player. There are a million stories out there about his offbeat, bizarre and at times downright dangerous behavior.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Aw, man. RIP.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One of the better stories is when, near the end of his career in training camp, some rookies were making a lot of noise at night. Atkins asked them several times to keep it down. The rookies kept making noise, so Atkins opened up his door, and fired a shotgun down the hallway. The rookies were silent after that.

RIP

5. Steak Snabler

As the story goes, Atkins refused to practice — ever — for like the last 5 years of his career.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The way I heard that one is that the offending players were in the room above his and after he told them to knock it off and they refused, he pulled out his gun (I was thinking it was a pistol, but I could be wrong about that) and fired a couple shots into his ceiling (their floor).

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Was originally recruited to play basketball at Tennessee, as there were not a lot of 6' 8" guys on campus back then, before The General got his mitts on him; went on to lead UT to a NC and was named SEC Player of the Century for the years 1950-1975.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He and Doug Buffone (I think it was those two) were very good on the NFL Network "Football Life" story on Gale Sayers and Dick Butkis.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Great anecdote:

An outspoken free spirit, Atkins was not Cleveland coach Paul Brown's kind of player. After two seasons, he was traded to the Chicago Bears, where he clashed with Bears owner-coach George Halas.

Once, after some disagreement at practice, Halas told him to run laps and, to make it particularly uncomfortable on a hot day, ordered Doug to wear his helmet. When he looked up, Halas saw Atkins running his laps wearing his helmet -- and nothing else!

dixiehack and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Atkins apparently got in a fist fight with Halas over a bottle of coke during the halftime of a game. I also think it was in Paper Lion where they talk about Atkins's crushing a ropes drill with his feet.

Finally, per the Browns, in the late 1950s and early 1960s they got rid of Atkins, Willie Davis, Henry Jordan and Jim Marshall. Could have been the greatest defensive line ever.

11. Steak Snabler

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted