1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Donald J. Sobol - "Encyclopedia Brown" author

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rmanfredi, Jul 16, 2012.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

A note off your note - Was there ever a TV / movie adaption of it? If there wasn't, I'm guessing Sobol just didn't want to ever license his work in that way, a la Bill Waterson.

2. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Yes, there was. It was on HBO, back when HBO was still producing children's programming.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I still remember from those books that squirrels always descend trees head first, they don't back down them.

As for sitting in restaurants, I understand the logic of letting the date sit with her back to the wall so as to "put her on display," as it were, but I learned from "Goodfellas" that you never sit with your back to the door.

Scorsese > Sobol, so the date gets to face the wall. :D

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

My father was a police officer and he would never sit with his back toward the majority of the restaurant. He always had to see what was going on.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Was Bugs actually David Stern? If you remember, Bugs rigged a game at the school fair by using a frozen ping-pong ball that he brought in a thermos. Hmm ...

6. jaydaum

jaydaum Member

Sad to hear this. I was also a huge Encyclopedia Brown fan. Nice to see my local Barnes and Noble still carries many of those books.
    On a sad but related note, I couldn't find any "Choose Your Own Adventure" books at Barnes in my effort to introduce them to my kids.
    I loved those things. I remember reading the different endings, picking the one I wanted, and then trying to choose my way to it.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

My wife was surprised when I told her that note of good manners and told me that her father always sat facing the restaurant because he liked to people watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted