1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Donald J. Sobol - "Encyclopedia Brown" author

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rmanfredi, Jul 16, 2012.

1. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

http://news.yahoo.com/encyclopedia-brown-author-sobol-dies-87-162041248.html

Bugs Meany claims he didn't have anything to do with it, since he was on a safari in Africa watching tigers.

In all seriousness, the "Encyclopedia Brown" books got me through a lot of days during my school years when I was too sick to play outside and had to find something else to do during recess time. Sobol even came to my school once to read stories and answer questions. Of course, I happened to be sick that week and missed school, although he did sign a copy of a book for me.

RIP.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Man, I read the hell out of Encyclopedia Brown in grade school. RIP.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I LOVED Encyclopedia Brown.

4. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I was a huge Encyclopedia Brown fan and probably those books made me a lifelong fan of mysteries. Sally Kimball ruled.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does Bugs Meaney have an alibi?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Jesus, Mizzou, read the first post!! :D

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Loved these books as a kid, and I wrote a spoof story about E.B. in a college creative writing class that was well-received too. RIP.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Lived a block from the town library and Encyclopedia and the Boxcar Children were my all-time favorites as a kid. Always enjoyed this too:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/idaville-detective-encyclopedia-brown-found-dead-i,753/

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Me too, never figured one of those cases out. RIP

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I am full of fail today... :D

11. LOVED these books. Read the hell out of them in 4th, 5th and 6th grade.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of the things I loved about those books was that it really taught me to read carefully, trying to figure the thing out. One of the reasons I'm still hooked on mysteries, EB and the Hardy Boys.

Draft saved Draft deleted