1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Don Zimmer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BenPoquette, Jun 4, 2014.

1. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I am hearing that Zim passed today...will never forget Pedro tossing him to the ground.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

RIP

Does he go into heaven wearing a Cubs, Sox or Yankee hat?

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

As a Red Sox fan, the first thing that comes to mind is Denny Doyle hearing "Go go go" and Zimmer saying it was "No no no" when George Foster threw Doyle out at the plate in Game 6.

RIP to Popeye. Quite a life in baseball.

Edit to show this clip when he was with the Cubs (the great 30-minute argument that included the fight with Mario Soto), where you can see how intense he just was: http://youtu.be/qAhzFOBKrE8?t=8m16s
    Hell, just watch the entire clip.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh no!

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Will be remembered by young people as the guy who charged Pedro and thrown to the ground. That's kind of sad.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Zimmer was nearly killed when he was beaned in the minor leagues in 1953. He was administered the last rites and spent two weeks in a coma.

Then he woke up and lived another 60 years.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Rays? Nah, has to be Yankees, no? RIP to a true sports icon.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Not really. I think most people who saw that could sense the respect Zimmer had within the game.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

When I think of Zimmer, I think Cubs.

And yes kids..he was more than just the guy that Pedro tossed to the side.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

He sure bounced around a lot, but it looks like his best years were with the Cubs. I was not even a gleam in my father's eye when he retired, so I mostly remember him as a coach.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Zimmer won his first World Series ring as a utility infielder with the Dodgers in 1955.

But his pettiness helped cost the Red Sox the division in 1978. He so hated Bill Lee that he refused to start him in a key series against the Yankees. Rookie Bobby Sprowl started instead, and got torched.

Anyway, RIP to a pretty good player, a great "baseball man" and a so-so manager. Zimmer's one of the last guys who could say he earned every dollar he ever made in his life from baseball.

12. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Thus earning him the nickname 'Gerbil' from Lee.

Draft saved Draft deleted