1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Don Sutton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 19, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I vaguely remember the end of his career, but that's my first thought of him — as a broadcaster.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to find out if there was a bigger career span between any two teammates in MLB. Considering those two were knuckleballers, that's the leader in the clubhouse.

3. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Phil Niekro and Warren Spahn (42-87) come to mind. Played together on the ‘64 Brewers.

Twirling Time likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

This is from Reddit, so take it with grain of NaCl. But I found this:

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Minoso one is an outlier, guy was active for two at-bats in 1980 and 8 in 1976 so he could artificially be a six-decade player. John and Wynn are legit.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

She sounds hot. Pics?

RIP Don Sutton.

Tighthead likes this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Okay. That makes more sense. I had the all-caps ready to scream “Harold Baines played with Minnie Minoso?”

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It was actually 1998, and the 90s is just a wasteland of WTF voting. Among them:

Sutton needed five ballots to make it.
    Niekro needed five ballots to make it.
    Perry and Jenkins needed three ballots to go in at the same time.

Joe Morgan only got 81.8 percent going in on the first ballot, yet Rod Carew got more than 90 percent a year later.

They couldn't find anyone to put in 1996, including two 300-game winners on their fourth and third tries, to say nothing of four other guys who would eventually get in.
    Then in 1997, they put in Niekro but not Sutton, despite them being basically the same pitcher.

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Little known fact: President John Tyler played on the 1987 Rangers.

maumann and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

It must have been fun to listen to Carey and Van Wieren. John Sterling going from the number three guy in Atlanta to the number one guy anywhere is an example of the Peter Principal gone berserk.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What was the deal with Sutton leaving the Braves for the Nats for a couple of years there?

Baseball fans were spoiled by cable in the 1980s. They could watch Harry broadcast drunk on WGN or Skip crack wise about 26 people in the stands at Fulton County on TBS.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I could swear when i was a kid I saw pics or video of either Sutton or Garvey with a shiner after their clubhouse brawl. It appears to be scrubbed from the internet.

I was at the last game of the season in 1982 when sutton beat Jim Palmer to win the AL east. Robin Yount led the game off with a homer off Palmer, and the Brewers and Sutton cruised.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted