1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Don Sutton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Another Hall of Famer dies. I'll share a couple of stories when I have some time

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One of my first favorite Dodgers who I mimicked often while pitching in the front yard.

misterbc likes this.
  3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Consistency counts

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Smart-aleck, but hated Garvey (they fought), which made it fun in the clubhouse. In '81, my rookie year on the Dodgers beat, he had signed with the Astros. That was the Dodgers' first road game that spring.
    Me: "Hi, Don. I'm Chris Long from the Podunk World Report."
    Him: "Congratulations."

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Downing, John, Osteen, Singer and Sutton. Makes me feel that much older today. RIP.

Side note: The 1972 Dodgers had Hoyt Wilhelm, whose career started in 1952, and Charlie Hough, whose career ended in 1994, in the same bullpen.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Lyle Spencer put on Facebook that he wrote a story which said Reggie Smith was the Dodgers best player, the heart and soul of the team. Sutton was quoted in the story. Garvey didn't like it. Bob Welch told Lyle that they were waiting for Lyle to leave the clubhouse (Shea Stadium) before they got into it.

Lyle also revealed that he didn't write about Sutton crying when Glenn Burke was released. He didn't want to embarrass Sutton, who was a Southerner from Alabama, who was crying over the release of a gay, black player. Quite touching.

Slacker, Huggy, maumann and 1 other person like this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

More than 18% of the electorate declined to vote for Sutton in 1988. He won 324 games. That just seems like an absurd combination today.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

A 21-Skip Caray voice salute.

wicked, playthrough and maumann like this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My wife liked basketball, not baseball, growing up. The first time Sutton didn't make it, she didn't understand why I was upset, so I tossed her the Baseball Encyclopedia (remember that?) opened to the page on all-time records and pointed to "wins by pitcher." Her reaction was, "he's not in? What? Was his hobby fucking sportswriters' wives?"

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Had it awfully good growing up in Atlanta with the Braves' broadcasters, even with so many bad teams. And now they're all dead, or floundering in the Yankees booth.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Even given my allegiances I respected Sutton greatly and am saddened to hear of his passing today. He was sooooo meticulous in his delivery, actually the forerunner (or model) to today's pitchers really.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Even as a Dodgers fan, I've thought of Sutton as a compiler who shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. He was never great, never dominant, just always very good.

But looking at his stats (I know), he is among the all-time leaders in many categories.

I worked with Don's widow as an usher at Dodger Stadium in the early to mid 80s and the story of their daughter, who was born four months premature, is heartwarming in that she fought and survived.

When Fame Takes a Back Seat - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted