1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Don Kirshner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jan 18, 2011.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

From the Brill Buiilding to the Monkees to Rock Concert ... One of the most influential men in rock music dead at age 76 in Boca Raton, Fla.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/don-kirshner-bubblegum-music-promoter-dies-at-77/?src=mv

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

In the pre-YouTube, pre-internet, pre-DVD and VCRs, pre MTV days, Kirshner provided one of the only real means for seeing the rock music acts of the 70s perform, short of attending a concert itself. RIP

3. This death announcement brought to you by King Biscuit Flour

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

don was immensely spoofable for skit-comedy folks but his show filled a real void in the '70s. r.i.p., mr. kirschner.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Indeed. Saturdays in the Huggy household in the late 70s-early 80s consisted of The New Music, a show based in Toronto and hosted by J.D. - later - John Roberts that featured interviews, concert clips and videos, Saturday Night Live, the Midnight Special and Kirshner's Rock Concert.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

For some reason I always thought Paul Shaffer's character in Spinal Tap was based on Kirshner.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Artie Fufkin, Polymer Records. "I got no timing."

Could be wrong here, but wasn't it Shaffer who did the Kirshner impression on either SCTV or SNL?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hopefully not on his way to the Early Bird special at the Boca Dinner.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I was never allowed to stay up to watch Kirschner's Rock Concert so it always had a forbidden fruit kind of appeal for me. RIP.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Don Kirshner's Rock Concert was a must watch on a late Saturday night after the Midnight Special. RIP

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"Kick this ass for a man. I'm not asking you, I'm telling you! Kick my ass."

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Don Kirshner gave Kansas (bubble-gum prog rock to the max) their big break nationally. He offered a broad target to the artistes of rock, but he had good instincts on what would sell to the wider public.

Draft saved Draft deleted