1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Don James

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bodie_Broadus, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

http://www.king5.com/sports/Former-UW-coach-Don-James--228545331.html

He is a legend around here, when I was growing up James was one of my heroes. RIP.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As I mentioned on the other thread about him, James is almost singlehandedly responsible for Nick Saban's coaching career.

After Saban finished at Kent, he was looking for something to do for a year while waiting on his future (and current) wife to graduate. He first considered going back to his West Virginia hometown to sell cars, but James offered him a graduate assistant position.

RIP.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's not nice to bring up evil deeds on a man's RIP thread.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

R.I.P. to Pinkel's mentor. And Saban would have been the grumpiest car salesman ever.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Darn. Hands down, best coach University of Washington ever had and a real legend, if underappreciated nationally.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

For one season in the early 60s, this was part of the staff at Florida State under Bill Peterson:

Don James
    Bill Parcells
    Joe Gibbs
    Bobby Bowden

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The 1977 college season is one I'll always remember since, as a child, I listened on the radio as MSU went out to Seattle and won over Warren Moon and the Huskies.
    The UW team advanced to and won the Rose Bowl with me pulling big-time for them, so it was big for a middle-schooler who could say his team beat the Rose Bowl champs.
    James was always classy when I heard him speak on TV and the fans always supported the program.
    Rest in Peace, Coach James

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

We knew this was coming quickly after the diagnosis was released. RIP to a great coach.

9. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

"If you just respect the process, a'ight, I can put you in this new car."

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That made me laugh.

RIP, Don James. Hearing a lot of respect for him around here. Man left a good impression on many.

Draft saved Draft deleted