1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Don Imus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Am I wrong or hasn't she been combating MS for some time now? Edit: Disregard ... GB has answered my question previously.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    gingerbread likes this.
  2. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Her MS diagnosis came after she left Imus. While MS is not caused by stress, it can certainly exacerbate it. And the stress Imus caused her and other women who worked with him was unforgivable.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Probably should not have clicked "like" because that doesn't accurately reflect my feelings, GB.

Look, I realize he treated some people like dirt. From a pure listener's standpoint, I thought Imus was very talented.

I rarely watch any of the cable/satellite raw sewage channels anymore. Having said that, when Janice appeared on Fox and I happened to see her ... she seemed genuine.

gingerbread likes this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

If you ever worked for a railroad, you'd know.

Liut likes this.
  5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't get this narrative that the guy had an easy path. Hell, he worked for small-market California stations at the get-go.

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The women I know who work there call it getting Foxified

7. gingerbread

Yep, still must be blonde (unless you have a certain agent), dentist on Central Park South does all the same teeth. Not unlike pageant requirements, despite no more Roger Ailes.
    The men at FOX have no such requirements. Shocking, I know

8. gingerbread

Don't know this woman, can't vouch for any of her tweets. But she's not alone in her anger.
    And I'll say this: the obits and tributes I've read have all been written by white men, Imus' contemporaries, his pals and people who profited from being guests on his show.
    Go figure.
    Anyway:

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Dare I ask if anyone knows what Imus is supposed to have done to this woman?

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Going to answer this from a personal standpoint and want to preemptively apologize if my doing so is offensive to anyone.

Imus may or may not have been born into privilege. He had it for most of his career and you'd think it would have engendered feelings if not expressions of humility and gratitude. For some people, it just doesn't work that way. Look at our current president. The man was born at third base, has everything or at least access to nearly everything he could ever want, and he still scans as hateful, hurtful, and bitter.

But I digress.

I grew up with people who were either lucky from the start or hit the right numbers in the life lottery later on. They were and are bitter, angry people who are never sated. Never. Anyone unlucky enough to find themselves in their crosshairs knows what it's like to have someone do everything they can to destroy them for no other reason than they can.

This borders on T&P but I'll say it anyway. I hope those who dealt with the dark side of working with Imus find some peace while everyone else is rushing to kiss his ass before necrosis settles in.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    heyabbott and maumann like this.
  12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted