1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Don Cornelius

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Feb 1, 2012.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

This hurt to hear.

In my late 70s "white flight" neighborhood, watching Soul Train was about the only contact I had with people who weren't white or Asian. I freakin' soul train.

Especially when my grandmother couldn't understand why I liked that "colored music" as much as I did (and still do).

RIP to a pioneer who, whether he knew it or not, actually bridged the racial gap through music.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Certainly Soul Train taught millions of young white Americans who otherwise would have no contact with black people the importance, and application of, Afro-Sheen, and why it was a product that could invoke the ghost of Frederick Douglass.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Keenan Ivory Wayans beat you to that idea:

Check it out at 1:36. Of course, the whole sketch is worth watching.

Funny thing is, ILC made such fun about how old Cornelius, and at the time this show aired, he wasn't even 60 yet.

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if he had some terminal illness and decided, "screw it. I'm not withering away." It doesn't sound like he had any money issues and any money leftover is apparently going to the one person he didn't want getting it.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Peace, Love and Soul, my brother.

heyabbott likes this.
  7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

If it's a suicide, no insurance will pay out.

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Not true (according to the linked story):

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That is usually, the case, for suicides and a 2 year wait. If you can hold out 24 months, your loved ones get paid.

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

And your "despised" ones too.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

at least he out lived Dick Clark

12. I find that really, really, really hard to believe; that any insurance company has to honor a life insurance policy where the buyer kills himself.

Only in California.

I think it will be a while before the ex. actually gets her hands on that money though.

Draft saved Draft deleted