1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Don Collins

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RustyHampton, Jun 14, 2010.

1. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Don passed away Sunday night at home in Virginia after a long battle with cancer.
    Don was a great newspaper man (Clarion-Ledger, USA TODAY, Arkansas Democrat) and a better person.
    He was my boss for 4 months during a loaner stint at USA TODAY 26 years ago but I can still see that smile, hear that deadpan voice as he's pulling another prank and then hear that laugh. RIP big guy.

2. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

Don fought the good fight for many years. Very sad news. Wonderful, big-hearted fella.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I was with Rusty on that loaner stint in 1984 and I later returned to USAT and worked with Don for several years. Heckuva guy. RIP.

4. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

Memorial service was held last Friday. Very well attended. Long-time USAT staffers, Don's many friends from his professional life and from his church, family. Touching presentations and lots of recollections of the big guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted