1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Don Carter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jan 6, 2012.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

NBC was the Saturday college basketball channel in the late 70s/early 80s. I still remember the regional SWC game of the week with Frank Fallon (RIP) and Rudy Davalos on the call. Usually it was Arkansas, Houston, Texas or Baylor in various permutations.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

NBC was a place to go watch Ray Meyer get older. It seemed DePaul was on every Saturday. They were almost the Notre Dame of basketball.

It seems the opposite of now, almost a time when you had to be a sort of odd school to get on TV. I remember seeing my fair share of DePaul, Memphis State (remember Keith Lee?), Louisville, Houston ... man, those were the days.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Marv Thronebury, Wilt Chamberlain, Rodney Dangerfield, Bubba Smith, Joe Frazier and Don Carter all endorsed Miller Lite in the late 1970s.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

IIRC, the NBC deal was the first national TV deal for colleges outside the NCAAs or NIT (yes, the NIT was still significant then). A lot of conferences had deals with regional syndicators (like TVS or Hughes Sports Network) or local stations. In the SF Bay area, KTVU would show a USF, Santa Clara or St. Mary's game around noonish, followed by a Pac-8 (and, by golly, it was always UCLA) at 2:30 on Saturdays. That's why there were lots of indie schools like DePaul and Notre Dame (with Orlando Wooooooooolllllridge).

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Then you'd switch to CBS and watch an NBA doubleheader. One game involved the Celtics, the next involved the Lakers. A couple times a year, there would be one game, Lakers-Celtics.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Mark Roth vs. Marshall Holman was bowling's equivalent of Connors vs. McEnroe. And Earl Anthony was perhaps a square, West Coast version of Bjorn Borg.

I wanted to crank it like Roth but looked like Holman and threw like a right-handed Anthony.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

At the time Roth was cranking it, I had no idea that you could really turn the ball over like that. Throughout youth bowling, it was drilled into me that you don't yank the ball sideways.

But oh, once I discovered lift ...

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This is the kind of stuff that should be on ESPN Classic. Not a fucking SportsCentury on Peyton Manning. I used to hate Holman because he was so over-the-top with his intensity. I read somewhere the Roth suffered a stroke a couple of years back.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So help me, I remember an NBC game from the early 80s featuring Alcorn St. It doesn't get more obscure.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Who was bowling for Alcorn State?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One of my favorite NBC Saturday afternoon features was from the mid-80s, when their Sportsworld would do kinda an early "Pros vs. Joes" thing in which regular people would challenge pros in their sport.

Most of the time, the "Joes" would get clobbered (I recall a guy who thought he was Bobby Riggs ended up getting destroyed 6-0 by Chris Evert and barely won a point), but once in a while they would somehow win (Jordan lost a game of 1-on-1 wheelchair basketball).

One of the fantasies I remember was a young kid, maybe 11 or 12, who challenged a PBA Hall of Fame bowler, and only lost by something like 10 pins. I don't recall who the bowler was, though,and I haven't been able to find it on the Internets.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

THANK YOU!!

I remember Saturday afternoons started with PBT and then Wide World of Sports came on. This with college basketball, maybe some early-season baseball in April on TV...

Didn't matter. Bowling and Jim McKay KILLED the other networks in the ratings. Wherever Chris Schenkel and Bo Burton went, they were the ones treated like royalty.

God, do I miss those times. Slightly off topic, but I believe ESPN Classic airs or has the rights to Celebrity Bowling, the syndicated show from the 1970s where stars bowled for audience members. If they can air that, they could air PBT (especially since it was an ABC show).

Draft saved Draft deleted