1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Don Carter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jan 6, 2012.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Perhaps this could cross over to the trivia board thread: First athlete to sign a $1M endorsement contract (Ebonite International in 1964).

MIAMI (AP) — Bowling great Don Carter has died at 85.
    The Professional Bowlers Association said Friday that Carter died at his home in Miami on Thursday night. He recently was hospitalized with pneumonia complicated by emphysema.

Edit to include this great Miller Lite commercial:

2. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

My Dad was a big bowler. We knew all of them. Carter and Dick Weber were our tops. Sad to hear.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Had a better average than Bob Uecker.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I don't think sports fans younger than 40 or maybe 50 realize how big bowling was on TV.

I remember spending Saturday afternoons with my mother watching Chris Schenkel and Bo Burton announce bowling on ABC.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

thought this was the mavs' original owner when i saw thread title. glad it wasn't but still rip.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

The big bowling alley (yes, bowling people it's an ALLEY) in my town is Don Carter's All-Star Lanes.

Never knew he was a "star" bowler. Until now.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If memory serves correct, you had ABC Wide World of Sports covering one season of bowling (fall maybe) and NBC Sportsworld covering the spring season. And yes, bowling was very big on Saturday afternoons back in the day, especially in the northeast in winter before college basketball got as big as it is.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Don Carter was one hell of a bowler. Still remember watching him on those decadent-looking Saturday afternoon telecasts. Don Carter ... Carmen Salvino ... Billy Welu ... all creating their own strikes rather than letting the polyurethane carry the ball into the pocket.

Want a piece of the past? Here.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I always enjoyed watching Schenkel and the PBA, and it was huge back then.

Tastes great! Less filling! (Great ads.)

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

God must have really needed someone to pick up a 7-10 split. RIP.

EDIT: In the 70s, ABC's Saturday afternoon PBA broadcast in the winter was huge. 3:30 p.m., followed by Wide World of Sports at 5. My mom worked for a few years at one of the alleys that was a stop on the tour and it was always fun watching the pros bowl on the same lanes we used in our junior leagues. College basketball was strictly a regional thing then and didn't take over Saturdays until the 80s.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My most exciting TV sports moment remains seeing Jim Stefanich roll a 300 game then collapse behind the line during a stepladder finals in 1974. Stefanich ended up losing the event, I believe.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The PBA on ABC with the late Chris Schenkel and Bo Burton was must-watch Saturday television.

Don Carter was big. And I didn't realize until I lived/worked in South Florida what a big deal he really was.

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted