1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dock Ellis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

So, in other words, Steve Nicosia would have hit against you, Buck?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yep. And Ott knew it. :D

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

You weren't the only one. Buddy Harrelson rubbed people the wrong way so did Larry Bowa. Back then shortstops were the pipsqueaks with a lot of talk, no bat and decent gloves.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think it was less rational than that. Something like, I thought he looked ugly on his baseball cards.

[​IMG]

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yeah. Foley suffered from Larry Bird disease.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Where the hell was that photo taken? An American Legion field?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Close. Shea Stadium.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If a base stealer was going to be safe, Foli had an unerring knack for getting tangled in the slide and falling on the guy. In other words, if they weren't going to get the out, they could at least plant a knee in his ribs. That baseball card photo is pretty close to what he'd do.

Foli was one of those weird guys who was really quiet and overtly religious, but had a terrible temper. There were times when he'd go nuts on an umpire and it would take three teammates to drag him away.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Foli once hit for the cycle.
    I remember when he came up how the Mets were very high on him. Yet they traded him away I believe along with Ken Singleton for Le Grande Orange aka Rusty Staub.
    Incidentally, I think Foli's son, Dan, was a pitcher with the Washington Nationals' AA franchise in Harrisburg, Pa.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

First pick, first round in 1968. Just a few picks above some guy named Munson.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Foli was a stud during his high school days in California, no question about that. Made it to show at 19.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Gene Lamont was drafted ahead of Johnny Bench.

Draft saved Draft deleted