1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dock Ellis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It's a great story and it's probably about 10 percent true.

Dock was a decent guy, but he was a bullshitter of the highest order. Nothing pleased him more than when people bought his tall tales.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sloan, I'd agree except for one thing, Dude walked around the clubhouse with curlers in his head. I think probably more than half of what he said was true.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

A great name from the days of some of classic Pirate teams.

The story says he played in the majors 12 years and had no health insurance. Now there's something good the players union could work on.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

They do. It's called BAT.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

So the story is incorrect? Or players of his era aren't covered?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Many old players are not covered. BAT --- Baseball Assistance Team -- helps these guys finiancially and with health and insurance issues. BAT is not connected to the MLBPA.

7. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

People talk about Dock's no-hitter, but what about his all-hitter? He once loaded the bases against the Reds by hitting Rose, Concepcion and Morgan to open the first inning.

I've seen no-hitters since, but I've never seen that.

8. Hey, it was probably smarter than pitching to those guys, and easier than pitching around them.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Good catch spnited. I often wonder why it isn't connected.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

While a Texas Ranger, Dock once said of Texas' martinet manager Billy Hunter, a sort of poor man's Earl Weaver, "He ain't gonna make a lampshade outta me."

RIP

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I sorta vaguely half-remember some sort of connextion of Doc and sickle-cell. Don't know if it was him, wife, kid or something.

o-<

12. Yep, that was the Bucs first game of the year against the Reds and Dock was out to show the Big Red Machine the Pirates weren't going to be intimidated by them. I thik the Pirates won the division that year, not sure.
    If I remember Steve Blass' story correctly.

Draft saved Draft deleted