1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Doc Blanchard, Mr. Inside

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Thought he died years ago. Shame on me. RIP.
    _____

URGENT
    Army’s Mr. Inside, Doc Blanchard, dies at 84
    Eds: APNewsNow.
    BULVERDE, Texas (AP) — Felix “Doc” Blanchard, the 1945 Heisman Trophy winner and Army’s Mr. Inside in one of college football’s most famous backfields, has died. He was 84.
    Blanchard’s daughter, Mary Blanchard, told The Associated Press late Sunday night in a phone interview that her father died of pneumonia at home earlier in the day.
    The bruising Blanchard and Glenn Davis, aka Mr. Outside, helped Army win consecutive national titles in 1944-45. The year after Blanchard won the Heisman Trophy, Davis won it and Army went undefeated again.
    _____

Of course, it moves minutes after I'm off the floor.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I also thought he died years ago. RIP.

3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

We were off the boards too. Just got it on the web site.

Good work, Mark Schlabach.

Blanchard's Heisman remains at St. Stanislaus College, a prep school he attended in Bay St. Louis, Miss. I should add that my esteemed colleague Del B. Vista did a really good piece on this a few years back.

Del talked to Mr. Blanchard in '03, it turns out, just before Eli Manning finished third in the Heisman balloting. He told him, "I thought it would do a lot more good at the school."

Del's story also mentions he came to St. Stanislaus when he was 13 and he got the nickname "Little Doc" because his father was a physician and played football at Tulane.

SSC staff made sure Hurricane Katrina did no damage to the Heisman.

That's where I'll be manana.

RIP Doc.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Cue Boom.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You rang

6. imjustagirl

Guess what? Aside from the outside guy dying, I never would have heard of Blanchard either. :D

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Really? I knew of both of them before I moved here. But that's because I became a bit of a football nerd once I found out the sport existed.

8. imjustagirl

Nope. And when our college football guy called tonight to tell us he had died, three people I work with said "Who?" and no one knew until one girl said she'd google.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Three people who work with you do had no idea who Doc Blanchard was?

That is appalling.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It happens more every day once you get around 50. You say, "So-and-so died," and the five people around you say, "Who?"

It is what it is. But he was a big deal.

11. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I was born 11 years after Davis won the Heisman.

I knew about him in high school. And by then, West Point pretty much sucked in football. It wasn't like good players wanted to go there during 'Nam.

By the same token my dad had told me about guys like Blanchard and Davis and Bronko Nagurski. It was a helluva lot more interesting than some of my history books.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Angola! had nothing cross his mind and doesn't know why.

:D

Draft saved Draft deleted