1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP director Tony Scott

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Aug 20, 2012.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

British film director Tony Scott, known for such Hollywood blockbusters as "Top Gun," "Days of Thunder," "Beverly Hills Cop II" and "The Taking of Pelham 123," jumped to his death Sunday from the Vincent Thomas Bridge spanning San Pedro and Terminal Island, according to Los Angeles County coroner's officials.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_21349685/breaking-man-who-jumped-from-vincent-thomas-bridge

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Holy moley.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Holy fucking shit. I love "Crimson Tide." One of my favorite movies. Totally random, but I will watch it every single time I come across it. Must be a hell of a story behind this one. RIP.

4. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Denzel Washington was in five of his movies.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

185 feet down. Mother of Christ.

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Seriously, an underrated director.... But I guess it wasn't white boy day.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I hated his style of direction, and many of his movies, but it's a shame the demons he had caused him to do this. RIP.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing about a Tony Scott film - the camera was always moving with the action. I have to think most of the actors he worked with were drawn to working with him, rather than the script.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's become a parody of itself over the years, but I can't think of anyone within 5-10 years of my age either way who didn't think Top Gun was totally badass when it first came out.

And yeah, Beverly Hills Cop II and Crimson Tide were outstanding as well.

RIP

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ridley Scott's brother. Just thought I'd note that.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Same here. Definitely in the "Well, I guess I'm not doing anything in the next hour or so" category when I see it on TV. I actually used that movie for a research paper in a Leadership class a few years ago.

"You don't put a condom on unless you're gonna fuck!"

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't think you make it to Valhalla this way.

Edit - Elysium

Draft saved Draft deleted