1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dick Williams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Don't have a link - I have MLB network on and they're talking about it. Died today at 82.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/hall-of-fame-baseball-manager-dick-williams-dead-at-82/2011/07/07/gIQAdUCW2H_story.html

I'm not going to lie to you -- he was tough to deal with as a manager.

[​IMG]

Roger Kahn had an anecdote in "The Boys Of Summer" where he was sitting at a bar with Williams, who lamented, "There must be something wrong with me. The last five girls I screwed, two was colored, one was Mexican, one was Filipino and one was Jewish." Then, realizing that Kahn was Jewish, he added, "And you know what? The Jewish girl was the best lay."

RIP.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Gotta love any guy who would tell his owner to shove it after winning back-to-back World Series titles ... especially when that owner is Charles O. Finley. Never a dull moment with the A's of the mid-70s. RIP.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Met Williams only once, at an MLB party. He was charming and told stories, but then, we'd both been drinking. Seminal moment of his career has to be Game Three of the 1972 Series, when he pantomimed a big argument in a mound conference ordering the pitcher to intentionally walk Johnny Bench, then the pitcher throws it right down the middle for called strike three.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Having dealt with him on only a very limited basis as a visiting manager for two or three series, I always referred to him as "the appropriately named Dick Williams."

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

A great manager. RIP

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Yeah, the crap he put up with with Charlie O. was ridiculous. Then, A-hole Finley kept him from accepting the Yankees job.

Kicked the Red Sox into shape and got them to a World Series. Covering the Mariners, I can tell you he and Dave Niehaus enjoyed their pops together.

He could be an immense jerk, but the guy was a winner. RIP.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Called Williams for an interview when I was in Las Vegas a few years ago. He yelled at me for ten minutes about how I got his number and then hung up.

RIP.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Why they went for that generic Brewers-esque look instead of going retro when the opened Petco still baffles me.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There wasn't a thing wrong with those Cubs roadies, either.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For a manager who had a reputation for being tough, he also stood up to Finley when the Mike Andrews incident took place at the '73 World Series. That, according to Williams, was the final straw.

And as a kid, seeing this guy screaming and yelling used to scare the heck out of me.

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted