1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dick Trickle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, May 16, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Former NASCAR driver/punchline dead of self-inflicted gunshot wound at age 71. ESPN the Magazine's Ryan McGee posted the police press release on his Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=610446588967560&id=116469968365227

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Just saw that he died; hadn't seen it was suicide. All of my snark just vanished.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow... Awful... RIP...

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Damn.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear this. Remember him from his days dominating in the Midwest in the 70s and then saw him in the NASCAR garage area in the 90s. He was a racer.

RIP.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Holy crap. RIP.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wonder if head trauma contributed to this.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

9. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

10. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

The cemetery was where his granddaughter -- who died in an auto accident in 2001 at age 16 -- was buried ... according to former Charlotte Observer motorsports writer Tom Higgins, Dick never got over that ...

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My wife is devastated by this. He was he favorite racer by far.
    Her stepdad told me when he raced near her hometown, she would only watch for him. When his race was done, or he crashed, she proclaimed it was time to go home and would make a scene until they left the track.

RIP Mr. Trickle.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't remember what year this was, but it was after the rise of the motor coach parking lots at race tracks. Trickle wasn't high enough on the totem pole to get inside the gate at Bristol, so he was parked (with a few other drivers) on the edge of the media parking lot. After the race there were several of us who joined him drinking beer into the night after the race waiting for traffic to die down. Dick himself provided and cooked the burgers.

Draft saved Draft deleted