1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dick Tomey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, May 11, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Dick Tomey, former Arizona head football coach, dies at 80

Long-time coach, I think it can be said, best known for turning programs around at Hawaii, Arizona and San Jose State. In the case of the latter, it was also a situation of getting them out of the APR doghouse.

Great defensive mind, which may have cost him the job at Arizona.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Always remembered him for the lei on the sidelines in Honolulu.

Surprised he was only 80. In his last few years in Hawaii in the 1980s, he looked like everyone’s retired grandpa who takes the boat out every weekend.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Like Rocky Long at SD State, a great coach who most people don't appreciate as much as they should because they did their work out west.

exmediahack likes this.
  4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

He worked under three head coaches at UCLA and had a major impact. Rocky Long did, too.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Would have been nice if the article had his photo.

Instead, I got three identical UFC ads in there, for women beating each other up.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Ah shit. He was a good man. Got to interview him once and he was gracious during it. Even had a great wise ass remark.

Spartan Up, coach. RIP

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the particular job factored in as well. That's a hard job and the fact he only had two really great seasons might've dampened things (even though that's more an indicator of the job).

Draft saved Draft deleted