1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Dick Lynch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Former NY Giants player and long-time radio broadcaster:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/ny-splynch0925,0,5513359.story

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I seemed to always get his football card in the mid-'60s, in every pack. Along with Ernie Wheelright.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear. I liked Lynch best when he was paired with Jim Gordon in the 80s. Whatever happened to Gordon?

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Jim Gordon died in 2003.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I have coffee several times a week with a guy who played with Dick Lynch on the Giants. He was quite upset when I told him today that Lynch had died. Lynch apparently was a great teammate and an even better person.

6. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

"And the Giants are going to Tampa!" was his call - or something along those lines - when Matt Bahr kicked his fifth field goal against the Niners. God, listening to those Giants games from the 80s and early 90s in the car with my father, a big Giants fan, bring back such memories.

He, Jim Gordon and Karl Nelson were a great radio team. This is such a shame to hear.

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Gordon: "TouchDOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW he dropped it."

RIP, to a loyal son of Mara Tech.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

By all accounts, Dick Lynch was a class act all the way.
    He also lost his son in the Sept. 11 terror attacks but did not miss a Giants game that season.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not the most popular feller in the Sooner State (thanks to his part in ending The Streak). But RIP.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Here's film (in color!) of the winning ND drive:

http://tinyurl.com/4u5nbx

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

r.i.p. to one of the truly genuine good people around. class act and a gentleman all the way.

covering what i believe was the giants' first road game after 9/11, i suffered a broken ankle outside the rca dome in st. loo. giants docs x-rayed my ankle. the maras invited me to fly back to jersey with them on the team's charter and had a kid fetch my stuff from my hotel room. arranged for a car to pick me up at giants stadium and drive me home.

anyway, lynch was probably the most attentive person to me on the flight -- the giants were first-class all the way; two back-up o-linemen n carried me up the steps to the plane -- but dick was the person sitting next to me. this was after losing a son at the wtc. what a strong, caring man.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Good story.

Giants have had a number of true class acts, over the years, and Lynch sure as hell was one of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted